The Illuminators LED Outdoor Landscape Lighting Solutions
What are LED's?
Simply stated, LED’s are solid state circuit boards. Unlike conventional lamps (bulbs), LED’s do not have a filament. LED’s utilize semiconductor "chips or diodes" that light up with energized electrons. LED’s require drivers that convert 110v current to 12v AC and DC current.
There are two types of LED outdoor lighting options (integrated LED lighting fixtures and LED bulbs) that are becoming more reliable, affordable and mainstream in the outdoor lighting industry. In the past, outdoor LED lighting was unreliable due to heat, performance and development issues, as well as they were cost prohibitive due to their high price of being a new technology. However, the time has come that a customer can now consider LED as a viable option whether it is either a new outdoor landscape lighting installation or a retrofit to an existing outdoor landscape lighting system. LED has advanced and developed enough to where the technology is now stable and suitable for certain outdoor lighting applications, and the costs have come down and will continue to decrease over the years to come as the LED market share grows and the technology evolves. THE ILLUMINATORS have the knowledge and experience to help you decide if LED is an option for your specific outdoor lighting application.
Advantages of LED Outdoor Landscape Lighting:
- LED landscape lighting can save up to 80% in outdoor lighting energy costs, saving the consumer a significant amount of money per year over the other outdoor lighting options.
- LED bulb replacement is almost non-existent. LED landscape lighting bulbs are rated to last 25,000 - 70,000 hours depending on the manufacturer. Normal 12V halogen bulbs are usually rated between 1,000 - 10,000 hours.
- LED outdoor landscape lighting is the safest form of outdoor lighting. LED landscape lighting produces very little heat compared to normal halogen landscape lighting. The LED lighting fixture is only slightly warm to the touch whereas halogen 12 volt landscape lights can cause severe burns to people if touched.
- Save green by going green. LED landscape lighting systems dramatically reduce the impact on the environment due to the big savings in energy and installation costs. LED outdoor lighting systems use much less copper wire, smaller transformers, and basically no lamp replacements
- bulbs and fixtures are shock resistant. They can withstand bumps and knocks. Unlike incandescent bulbs, LED bulbs do not have delicate filaments which can be damaged due to movement of a fixture or bulb.
- LED lights can be switched off and on frequently and without affecting the LED’s lifetime or light emission. In contrast, traditional lighting may take several seconds to reach full brightness, and frequent on/off switching does drastically reduce operational life expectancy.
LED Outdoor Lighting Options:
1. Integrated LED Lighting Fixture
A complete outdoor light fixture assembly, which includes built in LED chip(s). Though integrated lighting fixtures simplify lighting system installation, they also pose difficulties in terms of maintenance and lighting upgrades. Usually the entire fixture needs to be replaced if the LED light fails, a fixture component breaks or a different light output or intensity is required or desired over time. The cost for integrated LED lighting fixtures is also considerably higher than using regular LED bulbs in a new fixture. This option is not very flexible or cost effective for most consumers.
2. LED Bulbs Only
Can be installed and retrofit into most new and existing outdoor landscape lighting fixtures and systems. This option gives the most flexibility regarding cost and illumination options. This option is much less costly than removing and replacing integrated LED fixtures when beam spreads, color temperatures or even parts need to be changed. It is the most mainstream LED outdoor landscape lighting option as it offers the most flexibility and the lowest LED cost to the consumer.
CUSTOMERS WITH NO EXISTING OUTDOOR OR LANDSCAPE LIGHTING
- The Illuminators lighting designer will discuss all your LED outdoor and landscape lighting options for your specific and unique lighting plan and answer all your questions at the FREE outdoor lighting design consultation. Contact us today to set up an appointment at your convenience.
CUSTOMERS WITH EXISTING OUTDOOR OR LANDSCAPE LIGHTING
- should contact The Illuminators to see if an LED outdoor lighting system retrofit is an option for you. We can provide an LED retrofit option for most any outdoor lighting system whether we originally installed the lighting system or not.